The Student Opportunities for Academic Research (SOAR) program curators invite proposals from undergraduates to pursue research or artistry projects alongside a VCSU faculty mentor of their choosing.
Past projects include:
- Justin Tangen, with Dr. Andre Delorme, on: Using Side Scanning Sonar to Detect Mussel Beds in North Dakota Rivers
- Callie Smith with Dr. Kathryn Woehl, on: The Impact of Personal Experience in the Effects of an Empathy-Building Simulation
- Baylee Swenson and Jordan Bushaw with Professor Susan Pfeifer, on: The Effects of Motion Sickness in Virtual Reality Environments
- Sarah Zacher with Dr. Steven King, on: Uncovering the Silent Voices of the Past: A History of the Fort Totten Boarding School
- Rose Gaffner with Dr. Emily Fenster, on: An Examination Throughout the Years: Societal Trends and Billboard Top 5 Charts 2006-2016
A complete list of projects funded since the program’s start in 2013 can be found as: http://soar.vcsu.edu/?page_id=460
The SOAR program provides $1,000 to students for their research work and are budgeted $250 for materials and expenses.
Talk to members of the advisory council, instructors, or previous recipients to learn more about being supported to pursue your ideas for discovery or performance.
Applications are submitted online with the deadline for proposals for work in 2021 is midnight on Monday, November 9, 2020.