The Student Opportunities for Academic Research (SOAR) advisory committee invites proposals from undergraduates to pursue research or creative professional projects with a VCSU faculty mentor of their choosing.
The SOAR program provides $1,000 to students for their project work with an additional budget of $250 for materials and expenses. The deadlines for proposals for this year are 11:59pm on Monday, November 7th (Fall submissions) and Monday, April 3rd (Spring submissions). Application details and evaluation rubrics can be found on the SOAR website, but student application materials for the Fall must be submitted through the posting titled “SOAR – Proposals for Undergraduate Research” listed on the VCSU jobs site (Job ID: 2944999).
Past projects include:
- Justin Tangen, with Dr. Andre Delorme, on: Using Side Scanning Sonar to Detect Mussel Beds in North Dakota Rivers
- Callie Smith with Dr. Kathryn Woehl, on: The Impact of Personal Experience in the Effects of an Empathy-Building Simulation
- Baylee Swenson and Jordan Bushaw with Professor Susan Pfeifer, on: The Effects of Motion Sickness in Virtual Reality Environments
- Sarah Zacher with Dr. Steven King, on: Uncovering the Silent Voices of the Past: A History of the Fort Totten Boarding School
- Zander Dale with Professor Gratia Brown, on: No REZervations: Creating Navajo Pop Art
If you are curious about other projects SOAR has funded, you can see a detailed list of abstracts here.
For more information, you are welcome to talk to any of the advisory committee members: Emily Fenster, Steven King, David DeMuth, Susan Pfeifer, Andre Delorme, Jenni Oakes, Lee Kruger, Hilde van Gijssel, Kiersten Baughman, or Casey Williams.